Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dogs in an Old Folks Home

      Today I went to an old folk's home with some dogs from the animal shelter. Of course, this wasn't to get them adopted, but just to make the people living in the home happy. I will admit, I was a little nervous to be around the elderly people; sometimes they are sick and say odd things that I don't know how to reply too. When I was there though, with these dogs, my anxieties were completely blown away. I loved hearing stories of the dogs that these people had in the past, or about the dogs that their children own. They were all so excited to see the pups and to ask about their breeds and names.
       The two dogs that we brought were pretty funny. The first was a cute six month old Lab - Mastiff mix (even though I can only see Lab so far). She is a crazy puppy that snatches treats and gulps them down without even chewing. The second was a thick-chested, chocolate/brindle Pit Bull Terrier. She would lie down on the cool tile floor every time we stopped. Some people didn't like her when they saw that she was a Pit, but she was actually a sweeter, more well behaved dog than the puppy.
       Obviously, my heart goes for animals, but seeing these old folks made me pretty sad. When we talked to them and asked how their day was going all but two people said "OK". One lady was even crying
(and not it a psycho, my brain is wigging out, kind of way). Once the upset lady saw the dogs she became a little happier and wanted to pet them.
        Are their old folk homes that allow pets? I feel that that would make people so much happier. I know that if I lived in a home, I would want at least a kitty. Truthfully, I can't live without pets; I have two kittens in an apartment that doesn't allow any animals.... not even fish. :P
  

No comments:

Post a Comment